Yordas Group is a leading international provider of scientific and technical services, regulatory
advice, sustainability services and training to industry in the fields of chemicals management and
risk assessment. Originally founded to provide commercial services relating to the EU REACH
Regulation, we now provide registration / notification services and global regulatory compliance
and chemicals management support for many hundreds of clients in markets around the globe.
We are headquartered in the UK, with offices in North America and Europe and representation in
Asia Pacific, Eurasia and South America.
Job title: Data Scientist
Grade: Dependent on experience
Location: Lancaster, UK / Forchheim, Germany / Hamilton, Canada / Remote Working
Salary range: Dependent on experienc
full time or part time position
Date posted 05/02/2021
Apply by 05/03/2021
Owing to the continued expansion of the business and greater demands for services, Yordas
Group is looking to recruit a Data Scientist to be based within the Product Stewardship business
Although the core of the Product Stewardship team is based at Lancaster University in the UK,
depending on experience and ability to work independently, options to be located at our
German or Canadian offices, or work remotely will also be considered.
This role is intended to provide support to personnel responsible for the expansion and
maintenance of substance regulatory data on our central Yordas Hive database, and support to
projects requiring custom manipulation and reporting of regulatory data.
This will involve the use of automation and computation methods (such as native spreadsheet
functionality, program-specific macros, and external scripts) to enhance the process of
extraction and treatment of data from a variety of sources (such as web pages, downloadable
documents, etc.). This would be carried out in tandem with building and maintaining a suite of
data management tools, with a view to further automating the process of finding, extracting,
and processing relevant data over time.
For this, and for tackling the unique challenges of special projects, the role will require a creative
problem-solver, able to look at problems in the abstract and come up with novel solutions.
Role and Responsibilities
Working alongside our data scientists and software engineers, you will be part of a dynamic
team that delivers:
● Development of Macros and Scripts to specification
● Liaising with staff to develop internal softwares for unique data management
● Potential to provide innovation and offer unique solutions to the data management
problems we encounter
Profile and Qualifications
● Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) discipline
● Advanced use of Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets
● Grounding in macro languages Visual Basic for Applications and/or Google Apps Script
● Some wider grounding in programming, and the ability to pick up new languages and
● Good understanding of HTML
● Demonstrable experience of problem solving with complex data structures
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Logical and analytical with an instinct for solving problems
● Good at working well on your own and as part of a growing dynamic team
● Ability to successfully manage a fluctuating workload and work well under pressure
● Broad understanding of web development
● Familiarity with web scraping
● Experience with using a version control system (e.g. Git)
● Experience with SQL and databases
Interested parties should apply directly to email@example.com providing a CV and
covering letter before the closing date.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified
persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender
reassignment or age.