Yordas Group is a leading international provider of scientific and technical services, regulatory
advice, sustainability services and training to industry in the fields of chemicals management and
risk assessment. Originally founded to provide commercial services relating to the EU REACH
Regulation, we now provide registration / notification services and global regulatory compliance
and chemicals management support for many hundreds of clients in markets around the globe.
We are headquartered in the UK, with offices in North America and Europe and representation in
Asia Pacific, Eurasia and South America.
Job title: Software Engineer
Grade: Associate / Consultant
Location: UK / Germany / Canada
Salary range: Dependent on experience, full-time position
Date posted 28/01/2021
Apply by 28/02/2021
To support the continued growth of our business, we are looking to secure the services of a
Software Engineer for our Yordas Hive chemicals management platform, and our broader
software offering (customised web applications, as well as internal staff tools).
Yordas Hive provides users with a range of chemical management applications. The Substance
Database application allows users to access up to date information regarding 250,000 chemicals
and more than 600 associated regulations, and new applications allow customers to integrate
their own product information with Yordas Hive’s regulatory knowledge. Prestigious users of the
system include such names as Rolls Royce, Tesco and Toyota.
Your job as a software engineer will involve working with the development team to implement
updates to existing applications, and developing entirely new applications from specification to
final deployment. You will be working in a fast-paced, energetic but supportive and friendly
environment with potential for shaping the future of our software.
You will need a good understanding of how modern web applications are put together, using
You should be able to keep at the forefront of technological developments, learning new
techniques and tools and applying them to your work. You need to be able to work as part of a
team but also be able to solve problems independently and apply novel solutions to challenges
you encounter as part of your work.
We try to have a minimum of two people per project, although you may sometimes work on
projects on your own. We share best practices across the team and gain consensus for common
approaches without forcing projects to be developed in a restrictive way.
Our products are typically deployed on Linux servers but we are OS agnostic for your personal
work environment you can develop locally on Windows or Mac.
The successful candidate will be employed by Yordas Digital Limited, a subsidiary of Yordas
Role and Responsibilities
● Working on new and existing Yordas applications, understanding customer expectations
and translating them into software
● Liaising with the wider Yordas team to develop specifications for new applications and
make improvements to existing applications
● Working with other members of the development team, you’ll be helping to plan the next
iterations of our applications, contributing to our work on turning new ideas and
specifications into database structures, software functionality, and intuitive interfaces
● Providing support to new and existing customers and helping resolve any software issues
Profile and Qualifications
● Experience with and excellent knowledge of PHP
● Good knowledge of MySQL and/or MariaDB
● Fluent English with superb written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to learn and improve your development skills
● Experience of a PHP framework, especially CakePHP
● An understanding of version control systems (ideally Git), project lifecycle and
● Experience of test driven development
● Participation in code reviews and providing feedback on work
● Experience of building full stack web applications, front to back
● A general understanding of Linux shell
● Experience of administering web servers
● A few years of work experience in a team working on multiple projects
Interested parties should apply directly to firstname.lastname@example.org providing a CV and
covering letter before the closing date.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified
persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender
reassignment or age.